background

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Banana Cupcakes

These were so good and since I have some more over-ripe bananas right now, I think another batch will come to be in just a day or two. The banana flavor in these is wonderful and I love the hint of yellow added to the frosting it just screams BA-NAN-A!!! Don't ya think?


My sister-in-law is expecting and when cravings come, they come. The first batch of these came from her dropping off a handful of bananas to me and saying "can you make something". Well of course, I can. We were both kinda done with Banana Bread, I've already made Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies and Banana-Nut Chocolate Chip Cookies, so it was time to move on to Banana Cupcakes.

This is normally served with Cream Cheese Frosting but the sis-in-law HATES cream cheese, really really hates it! This called for a substitute and so we used our NEW favorite Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. But either way you make them, I am sure they will be eatin' up in no time at all!

Banana Cupcakes
from Bakerella

1-3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 to 2 large ripe banana (or almost 1 cup)
1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake tray with 12 baking cups. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl with a wire whisk. Cream butter and sugar in a mixer for about four minutes. Add banana and mix until combined. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Add half the flour in three additions alternating with milk in two additions. Scrape down the sides with each addition.

Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until done.



Cream Cheese Frosting
from a friend Carol

8 oz cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

Mix all together in an electric mixer and blend until fluffy! Add food coloring if you wish.

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
from Magnolia Bakery in New York City

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
6-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
Green Food Coloring

Place butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the powdered sugar and then the milk and vanilla. On medium speed in an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly.



3 comments :

  1. After I saw this recipe I took my Over Ripe bananas OUT of the garbage! lol Can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny Joy! Mine are in the freezer. I think I might make these tonight. I'm not sure I have enough butter left so maybe just half a batch of frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made your beautiful cupcakes! Somehow I made them too sweet. I think I've lost my magic touch when it comes to cooking and baking. I won't work on my fudge until next week when my sweet tooth gets back from vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...