background

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hot Caramel Apples (crock-pot)

Caramel and Apples the two ingredients for IMPROV COOKING CHALLENGE. Yes, I joined another challenge, why not! I love cooking and I love a challenge and this gives me an assignment and a deadline, two additional things I love.


I had just bought some fresh apples from Oak Glen on an Apple picking weekend and decided to pull out all my apple recipes. I found this crock-pot recipe and I knew I had to try it. Before we even returned from camping for the weekend. I made up this recipe, loaded it in my crock-pot for our long-drive home and by the time we returned home I had Hot Caramel Apples prepared. Gotta' Love Motorhomes and the ease of crock-pot cooking.

I am excited about this new challenge as it will teach me to cook with two items that I may have over looked at one time or another. I searched through lots of recipes believe it or not to find one that had both Apples and Caramel. Alot of my recipes had one or the other, but not both.


Hot Caramel Apples (crock-pot)

4 large tart apples, cored
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
12 red-hot candies
1/4 cup butter
8 caramels
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Whipped cream, optional

Peel about 3/4 in. off the top of each apple; place in a slow cooker. Fill the center of each apple with 2 tablespoons of sugar, three red-hots, 1 tablespoon butter and two caramels. Pour juice over apples.  Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the apples are tender. Serve immediately with whipped cream if desired.

16 comments :

  1. Fantastic! I've seen crockpot apples floating around and really wanted to try them. I'm pinning you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the crockpot apples - especially with caramel in the center (usually, it's butter & brown sugar). I can certainly see us enjoying these jems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good I will for sure need to try these for halloween thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your recipe! Thanks for participating in THE IMPROV COOKING CHALLENGE!! I can't wait to see what you do next month with Pumpkin and Cream Cheese. ---Sheryl---

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness these look fabulous! Stopping by from The Challenge. I'm a new follower :)

    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This might be a silly question Tina....but is your crock pot lined with plastic? If so...why? What kind? Is it only for this recipe? I've never seen that before and am wondering what I'm missing. THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love caramel! And these, in a crock pot, oh so easy and I bet heavenly tasting. Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved baked apples so I know that I'd adore these too, great ICC recipe.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Improv Cooking Challenge recipe: Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love any excuse to use a crockpot... this looks so simple and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tina these look delicious! Mine are #53 the Caramel Apple Scones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to cook apples -- I love that they're stuffed with caramels...yum! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, these look fabulous! I love crock-pot recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds delicious. I might have to save it until next May as we are just coming into summer in Australia. It is great way to make apples too yummy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The crockpot apples is my favorite, Especially with caramel in the center with lots of butter and brown sugar is too yummy. I really enjoy to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that these are made in the crock pot! What wonderful idea for this month's challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...